Leila’s myth

Leila’s myth is in the Greek style and is epic in scope with some romance thrown in as well.

Deptagon and Antandian

Noble king Eragona sighed. The hideous monster slug, Deptagon, was freely roaming the land of Eragonia. Before, children had scrambled over rocks on the plains without the threat of death at any moment, but now, well that was impossible. Calling to Antandian, a noble young yeoman, he bade him bring the poster calling heroes to the palace.

“Shred it,” he said, waving an airy hand. “There is no hope of heroes now.”

“Oh, no, my lord, we cannot do that!” cried Antandian, horrified. “Although, I do have a plan….”

Two hours later Antandian was walking hurriedly over the grasslands on the outskirts of the city when he met an old man.

“And hello!” said he “I am Antandian, a hero, travelling to slay the monster Deptagon.” For the young man’s plan, a noble plan, had been to travel to Asguard, the monster’s lair, and kill, or else die screaming there.

“I am Iran,” replied the elder, “ I eat heroes for dinner! I cannot let thee pass if thy is not worthy, no?”

“True, but of course I am worthy! I will show thee! I travel far to slay the evil Deptagon!”

“A poisonous snake roams these lands. If you can defeat this reptile you may pass.” Iran, feeling confident of Antandian’s death, led Antandian to a small cave.

Entering, Antandian saw a vicious snake curled on the cold, stone floor. With a blood-curdling war-cry, he raised his sword, and, after a long pause, slayed the wicked beast in one blow. Leaving it dead on the stone, he left, smarting from a snag of the monster’s poisonous jaws. Dipping his wound in magical healing herbs, he confronted the old man.

“I have slayed the beast!” said the hero. “May I pass?”

“Go ahead!” regoiced Iran. “All the land thanks you!” So Antandian carried on with his journey.

When he came to Olympia, home of the gods, Andantian met a beautiful lady.

“I am Janovi, daughter to Athena. I have been waiting for you.” She smiled at him, and he felt safe with her.

As they travelled deeper into the heart of Olympia, Antandian sighted a great palace standing apon a high cliff.

“And who owns that mighty stronghold?” asked he, speaking softly. Janovi smiled. What a handsome young youth this man was!

“That is the castle of your lost father, Herious.”

“No! You cannot speak truly!” Antandian cried in astonishment.

“You can meet him if you wish.”

Andantian plunged towards the palace, wild with exitement. Bursting into the elaborately-decorated hall, he cried,

“Father, I have come!” Herious rose, and, striding towards him, ripped open Antandian’s tunic and showed a birthmark, bright against the pale skin.

“You are indeed my son.” Herious rumbled.

They stayed together for the rest of the day.

Janovi and Andantian became firm friends, and on the morrow Janovi gave Andantian a gift.

It was her mother’s helmet, terrible yet so beautiful, too. Andantian excepted it gratefully.

But Dianous, second son of Zeus, and former lover of Janovi, heard of this, and plotted to kill Janovi because of her betrayal. The night before Janovi’s death, Andantian and Janovi met for one last time. Andantian wished to complete his deadly task, but Janovi wanted him to stay in Olympia. They quarrelled, and parted. Wishing for revenge. Andantian complained bitterly to both Zeus and Hierious, but neither took sides. The next morning Athena woke to find Janovi dead, and, having heard of Andantian’s complaints the night before, she believed it to have been him who killed Janovi, and also who took her wonderous helmet.

She drove him out, and once again he took to wandering the wasteland. But he was near to Deptagon now, so he could not give up. He trudged wearily on, wishing to meet the monster, and one day his wish was granted.

He came to a sandy plateau, and apon that plateau ther was an enormous cave. Creeping silently along the passageway, sword at the ready, he sighted a monsterous creature. Pulling down the visor of Athena’s amazing helmet to keep him safe from the awesome stare of the monster’s hypnotic eyes, he advanced. After a bloody battle he managed to defeat the monster. Ripping off his helmet, Andantian was able to get a closer look at the bloody carcass. It was like a three headed slug, with roots round its middle so it could sink into the ground disguised as tree roots. One mouth was shooting fireballs, while another seemed to be breathing out unhappiness, so Andantian left quickly. Taking Deptagon’s ugly middle head, he started the long journey back to Eragonia.

When he arrived at the city, many people spilled out of their houses to greet him. When they learnt what he had done, and how he was so cruelly treated in Olympia, the citizens were angry. But Andantian calmed them, and nothing was harmed.

But then the chancelor roused him, and, speaking to the crowd, demanded a reward for this noble man.

“Dost thou not have prizes, noble, or you,merchant?”

But Andantian shushed him, and told him that he needed nothing. Still he is remembered, though, and his statue stnds in Eragonia to this day.

This entry was posted in Literacy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Leila’s myth

1. Liz Greening says:

Leila, I really enjoyed reading your myth. Such a gripping adventure with a convincing feeling of ancient times achieved through your use of words. Well done, you!

2. andrew greening says:

Leila. Your myth is great. So involved, full of adventure and heroic tales. The language used really reads like an authentic Myth. Top job!